LNER/BR A8 Loco kit
We started this project in 2015 only to be brutally interrupted by serious health problems.
After 3 years the project has been resurrected and is at an advanced stage in the development process. The design has been finalised and etchings produced for both the new chassis and the body. Due to Dave Alexander deciding to call it a day, I've had to rethink the use of white metal castings and will probably go the lost wax brass casting route, though that's still to be decided.
Please note that after a conversation with Mike Megginson we've decided to do the "As Rebuilt" version with the Diagram 63 Boiler. This version has quite a few different parts meriting a completely new kit. When ordering, please specify which version your ordering by boiler type Diagram 63/63A boiler (Large Boiler) or Diagram 63A, 63B or 63C boiler. (Small boiler)
We've already anticipated orders from OO modeller's so both versions will be available from launch
The cost of the kit is likely to be £156.50 plus £8.00 Insured P&P. A Gibson wheel set is for the A8 is £33.70. There's no P&P charge on wheel sets and motors if ordered with a kit.
Customers please note. We don't cash Customer's cheques or request a BACS transfer payment until your order is ready for dispatch.
©52F Models 2015, all rights reserved. This photo shows the front 3/4 view of the body fitted with the Diag. 63B boiler. All etched parts including the boiler are formed in 0.38mm nickel silver
©52F Models 2015, all rights reserved. This photo shows the rear 3/4 view of the body. Clearly seen in this shot are the 2 bunker end steps introduced by the LNER from 1948. The cab opening surround beading is a separate preformed part that locates the doorway vertical handrails. Also clearly seen in this shot are the working cab bi-fold doors.
The bunker has the more common coal cage fitted and a hopper top for use at sheds with mechanical coaling plants.
1. The chassis is as prototypical as we were able to make it in model form bearing in mind the constraints of space most modellers operate under
2. Material used for construction, 0.38 mm Nickel silver
3. Provision has been made for the use of Plunger Pickups for current collection.
4. 12 wheel compensation and load bearing on all wheels
5. Prototypical Bogie operation with operating compensation beams and horn blocks.
6. Operating load bearing radial truck for the trailing wheels.
7. Driving wheel compensation unit incorporates a two stage reduction gearbox and motor mount giving a 46:1 reduction ratio.
8. 6 pages of computer generated, easy to follow, 3D assembly diagrams. These diagrams are a true record of how we built the chassis.
1. The body is etched in 0.38 mm Nickel silver
2. Any part that may prove difficult for the modeller to form is preformed by us.
3. There are two types of boiler included in the kit. Both boilers are rolled by us. Diagram 63B (Most common) & Diagram 63C (only five built). Both boilers have a 1/16th" lap joint for strength and each boiler has half etched grooves etched in the correct position for the boiler bands.
5. Boiler bands etched in 0.25 mm nickel silver for a realistic appearance. Boiler bands are fitted mechanically and don't require soldering in place. No soldering, no cleaning off excess solder afterwards.
6. Cab opening surround preformed by us.
7. Fully detailed cab including operational bi-fold cab doors
8. Etches supplied for 3 different configurations of bunker. Coal rails, Coal cage and coal cage with hopper top.
9. Two different bunker end plates. One pre 1948 era (one footstep) and one post 1948 ( two footsteps).
10. Comprehensive range of white metal parts.
11. Comprehensive range of lost wax parts.
12. Sprung buffers with etched oval overlays.
13. Comprehensive instructions and 12 pages of 3D computer generated diagrams showing how we built this model in easy stages.